Friday, October 1, 2010

We're just two Hunks and a Negro...

Yesterday on the way to work we saw this truck and it had the name "Booker" on it. Will goes, " Do you remember Booker T Washington? What was he famous for?" All the sudden my mind went back to elementray, I believe it was 2nd grade. I recalled writing a book about Booker T Washington, I made pictures and everything. So I said, " I think he was famous for some type of education thing., we'll have to google it to be sure". I know, real intelligent, huh?
So we went on throughout our day doing our normal activities and started to go to bed. Will was checking his facebook on the ipod before bed, and I was like, "we need to find out about Booker T Washington!" So we did. This is what we found out....

"Booker T. Washington, 1856-1915, Educator. Booker Taliaferro Washington was the foremost black educator of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He also had a major influence on southern race relations and was the dominant figure in black public affairs from 1895 until his death in 1915. Born a slave on a small farm in the Virginia backcountry, he moved with his family after emancipation to work in the salt furnaces and coal mines of West Virginia. After a secondary education at Hampton Institute, he taught an upgraded school and experimented briefly with the study of law and the ministry, but a teaching position at Hampton decided his future career. In 1881 he founded Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute on the Hampton model in the Black Belt of Alabama." 

I won't bore you with all of the details, but I was soo excited that I was right!!! I told Will I remembered drawing a picture of kids going to school with books in there hands. It was cracking me up. Here is what Booker T Washington looked like. (Side note: We think he looks like President Palmer from 24, maybe in a few more years)



Well anyway, one of the bios that we read said he was "negro" instead of black. So then I remembered that song by DC Talk "We are just two Hunks and a Negro.." Will didn't know what I was talking about so we looked it up on you tube. Come to find out the name of it is " We're just two HONKS and a NEGRO." Oh man! I was dying, my whole life I thought it was Hunks. We were dying of laughter. Here is the song:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9cJ__D0S7Y

I am at work, so the actual video was not working, so I hope this link works!
Happy Friday

1 comment:

  1. That made me laugh sooo hard!!!! Remember the song...cinnomon Berry Sue(according to you) when it was Soon and Very soon. HA HA HA!!

    ReplyDelete